Vegetarian tortilla soup
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (leave seeds in for lots of spice!)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 large (or two small) sweet potatoes, diced*
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 6 cups broth**
• 3 cups (two small cans) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup frozen corn
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 4 tablespoons masa (corn flour) diluted in 4 tablespoons water
• Fixings (optional): Greek Yogurt (or sour cream), sliced avocado, tortilla chips (recipe below)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion, red bell pepper, and jalapenos. Saute until soft.
3. Add garlic; saute for one minute or until fragrant.
4. Add sweet potatoes, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Stir to coat.
5. Add broth** and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
6. Add beans, cilantro, corn, and diluted corn flour. Continue cooking for approximately 5 minutes, allowing the beans to warm and the masa to thicken slightly.
7. Top with fixings, if desired.
8. To make homemade baked tortilla chips:
9. Cut 6 tortillas into small strips. In a bowl, mix with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt to taste. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, or until chips are crispy.